It's been a long day but before I nap, I'll share today's events with you.
So today was a big day. First, they did not feed me breakfast. I'm not very hungry but still they should have offered. And because I didn't get breakfast, Eva didn't get breakfast either. That was poor planning on their part.
Then I got to go for a ride in the DUV but we left Eva at home. She was not very happy about that either. Later she told me that she was so worried because our pawrents never take one of us without the other and if they didn't come home, who would feed her and let her out. She admitted being worried that I wasn't coming back either. So she stayed right by the window in the front door and waited and waited for us to come home. Momma and Dad took me to see a specialist at Metropolitan Veterinary Referral. This is one place where I would not want my Momma or Dad to work. All they see is very serious issues like cancer so they see a lot of dogs and cats that are in the last chapter of their lives. I'll let Momma add the details where needed.
After waiting for long time, they came and let us go in a little room. Oh I forgot, I had to stop and get weighed. I now weigh a svelte 63 lbs. So I lost another pound since Thursday. Or their scale may be off. Either way, I'm still bewootiful.
Momma and Dad talked with some woman who wrote down a lot of notes. (Momma - discussing Tasha's recent behavior and physical changes and her history) I didn't catch her name because she wasn't talking to me. But I do know they were talking about me. Blah Blah Blah Tasha Blah Blah Dinner Blah Tasha Blah Blah. I just kept giving Momma and Dad kisses. Until this unnamed woman stuck something in a very private area. I was so offended that I stopped giving kisses for a while.
She went away and a very nice woman named Catherine came in and talked to Momma and Dad for long, long time. (Momma - same discussion as above plus comments from her regular vet and possible results) This Catherine person then took me away and into the back room where they did unspeakable things to me. They shaved my belly and took a movie of my insides. I'm sure it will be this year's top movie and win all the awards. but then they stuck me with two needles and stole parts of my very essence. (Momma -liver and spleen).
I had enough of this place so I told Dad I wanted to go home. Since Dad loves me so much and almost always does what I tell him, we went home where Eva was still looking out the window watching for us. Allegedly, Eva can be "trusted" so Momma let her come out to welcome me home. I even let her sniff my naked belly. Then I declared that it was dinner time. I had to take 3 pills with dinner but since they came with peanut butter, I suppose I won't put up too much of a fight. (Momma- 2 pills to stimulate her appetite and 1 pill to facilitate her breathing) Of course Eva got some peanut butter too. Our pawrents are very fair and what ever one of us gets, the other gets the same. It's been a busy day and this is a long post, so I'm going to take a nap.
At this point, there are two possibilities: Cancer or fungal infection in her lungs. If cancer, there is a primary tumor somewhere else. Using Ultrasound, they did find suspicious masses in her liver and in her spleen. The results of the biopsies will be back on Monday or Tuesday. If the results do not show a malignant tumor, we'll test her lungs. We did not go ahead with testing the lungs today because there are significant risks. If we chose to do a needle aspiration, her lungs could deflate and we'd risk not getting a good tissue sample. Our other choice is a tracheatomy and run a camera down into her lungs to guide retrieving a good tissue sample. Even though there are risks, we'll probably chose option 2. Damn the cost.
If cancer, we'll make her as comfortable as possible but we do not anticipate doing chemo. We don't know if we could put her through that just to have a few more months with her. Her quality of life is more important than anything else including the devastation of losing her. If fungal infection, the treatment is very aggressive and we could lose her to the treatment. At this point, the fungal infection is our best hope for her. We'll know more next week but whatever we decide, it will be based on what is best for Tasha and not what we want. We are hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.
P.S.S. Edited to add a comment from Eva - I love my sister and don't like it when she's not here. And will someone make my Momma and Dad stop crying.