Friday, October 8, 2010

If you could ask your cat or dog any question, what would it be?

A very long post without pictures!!
I know that we’ve been gone for a long time but between work, dog classes, rescue transports, business trips and trying to have a family life, blogging has not been at the top of our list. But something so interesting happened that we have to share.

For many years, I’ve been interested in using a animal communicator to talk the fur-kids but was concerned about finding someone who appeared to really be able to do it and not be a fraud. I came across the blog of a fellow “Belgian” person who has used the same one several times. There was a lot of detail given and I thought “Why not?”

So I contacted the animal communicator that she had used and set up an appointment. I prepared my list of questions and was ready when the appointment time came.

How it works – Sometimes it is done in person but usually it is done over the phone. No, I didn’t hold the phone up to Eva and Brice’s ears but the phone was used for the Communicator and I to talk. The only information that she was given in advance was their names, their breed and the city that we live in. She connects telepathically with the animal, gives me some information to confirm that she connected to the correct dog and then the questions/answers begin. The communication between the communicator and the subject is non-verbal- mostly images, emotions, sounds, smells etc.

This is not a exact transcript but a lot of paraphrasing. The communicator is shown as C, I’m shown as M and additional information for you is ()

The communicator made contact with Eva. Her connection with Eva is very low-key

C- Oooh! She's a very polite young lady. Not a pup and not old (Eva is 6 yrs old)

M -What scares Eva ?

C- a big burly man with big mustache and ruddy complexion that laughed like Santa but mean.
Seemed like a stereotypical biker dude. Very loud . Eva kept saying that he’s scary! He’s very scary!

M - Is this current, in the recent past or before she came to live with us?

C- There are lots of dogs around, more than two. Before she came to live with you

M - We found out after we got Eva that she was potentially from a puppy mill or her parents were(long story). Was it a puppy mill situation?

C- Not like a warehouse situation but there were a lot more dogs but not all looked like her - Not all puppies but not all adults. Seems like there were maybe six different breeds.

C- Eva doesn't like other loud noises - storms, fireworks, nail guns. If we re-roof the house, we need to take Eva somewhere else during that time. The loud noises coming from overhead will really freak her out.

C- But she wants you to know that she feels safe with you

M - Does it help when we give her a pill, some liquid and put her shirt on? (Eva has a tight fitting t-shirt to wear during storms and she gets Rescue Remedy and a children’s Benedryl to help her cope. Otherwise she is a trembling drooling extremely clingy girl)

C- She likes the shirt. Really likes her shirt. Not sure of the pill or liquid(side discussion to make sure that we don't give her ACE). She knows when the storm is coming before you do.

M- Is there something that I can do to make her feel safer?

C- Not that she is aware of. Just keep telling her that she is safe or thinking that she is safe. She can hear you when you’re thinking. Eva knows that we would never let anything hurt her.

M- Does Eva ever see Tasha? (Tasha crossed the Rainbow Bridge in 2008)

C- She sees a dark dog more but Tasha does look in on us once in a while. The dark dog looks kind of like her but darker.(The communicator described Tasha's tail and color. That her white chest was very striking) (Tia was a black with tan legs shepherd/husky but crossed the Bridge before Eva joined our family so Eva did not ever meet her)

M- Does Eva like going to the dog park?

C - No, too many people and dogs. (The image that the C had given Eva was of a smaller park where it can be really crowded. I explained that we only go to very large dogs parks and do not stay near the gate but walk the trails.)

C- She's OK when nobody else or just a few dogs/people are at the park and she can just run with Brice. But she's just happy being with you and wants to go places with you.

M - What does Eva think of Brice?

C- He's silly! He's goofy! He's very brave but she doesn't think that he's very bright.

M - Healthwise - does anything hurt or feel uncomfortable?

C - When she runs a lot, her left hind leg gets tender. Not her hip or her knee. More lower back/sacrum area. (Suggested a chiropractor may help)

C – Eva loves when you rub the right side of her neck from her ears to her shoulders.

M- Tell her that Daddy will be home this weekend.

C- Eva said that she knows. You think it all the time.

When the communicator made contact with Brice it was very upbeat, full of giggles and laughing

C- He bounces. He keeps saying "I bounce"

C- Brice has a very healthy ego. He thinks that he is all that! He thinks he's funny. Very different personality than Eva, Brice is very outgoing and "in your face"

C- The communicator asked if Brice is still intact (No) said that he did not lose any of the attitude when he was snipped.

C- What is his job? He needs a job. He’s making up his own jobs around the house because he doesn’t know what his job is.(suggestion given that it is his job to protect the doors and windows and can bark but only at people or dogs that he has not seen before)

M - (Discussion that I would like to compete with Brice in obedience, agility or rally)

C- He thinks obedience class is boring. Do the same thing over and over again. He already know how to do those things.

M- Which would he prefer to do?

C- very excited about doing agility. He loves to jump.

C - (told him that he needs to be polite and do what I ask him to do in order to show everyone how smart he is and then he can earn the right to train in agility)

C- Make sure that Momma keeps talking to me in her head. I can hear her. Then I won't get worried when she stops talking out loud.

M- Does Brice get queasy in the car?

C- A little but only when there is a lot of stop and go or variance in speed. On the highway, he's fine.

M - Did Brice like daycare?

C- They thought I was very nice

M - But didn't you get in trouble and that is why you don't go to daycare anymore.

C- The other dogs needed someone to tell them where to go. If I didn't do it, no one else would. (He got in trouble for trying to herd the other dogs and some dogs reacted negatively to it)

M - Healthwise - does anything hurt or feel uncomfortable?

C- His back can get a little "ouchy" when he jumps too high, twisted or often for his flying squirrel. (he gave the image of him being straight up and down)

M- Why does he get a little growly?
(Communicator said she wasn’t getting any images of him rally growling, I said that it usually happens when someone or Eva walks near him when he’s laying down or walking into a dark room when he’s sleeping. We never took it as aggression, more of just a way to communicate)

C- He's just talking and saying "watch out, I'm here". Before us, sometimes he was around too many dogs and they would get too close, push him or he would get stepped on. If he felt that we needed to be defended, it would be a very different tone.

M – what does Brice think of me (since I’d like to compete with him, I wanted to know if he thought of us as equals, if I was the leader etc)

C- not a specific answer but he gets very “mushy” when it comes to you.

M- Tell him that Daddy is coming home this weekend.

C- Brice got excited and talked about rolling around on the floor with their daddy

This ‘meeting’ gave me a lot to think about – much of it, I already knew or thought but I learned a few things. The pups will be seeing a chiropractor to see if we can address Eva’s left hind leg issue and if Brice needs any adjustments.
Will we do it again? I’m hoping to make this an annual appointment but will probably do a follow-up appointment in a month or so. I thought of so many other things that I’d like to ask or get additional information on.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! that sounds so cool. "I bounce therefore I AM!" tee hee...

of course obedience is boring. it's boring for most dogs. I'm not surprised he'd yawn through it!

Eva... Princess princess princess... i'd love to see a photo of you in your shirt. I'm so glad you feel better in it.

ACE? for a thunderstorm? who would give that? I tried it on them before our trip and monitored them but in the end, i did not use it at all. I thought i'd use it for the 4 hour car ride from the airport but didn't need it.

There's something called "anxiatine" that is used holistically for dogs. it's just l-theanine. that worked really well for both dogs. they were calm and no feeling of "drugged." it's by vibrac (a dog drug company) but you can probalby just by l-theanine too... but both dogs reacted very nicely to it. alert but not nutty on the trip.

D.K. Wall said...

I bounce - love that.

I have never used a AC, but sounds interesting.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Having read the session with the other Belgian human that did this, it was interesting to see her take on The Princess and The Handsome Duke of Destruction

We'll be looking forward to the next meeting of the minds!

BTW, bummed on the no pictures ;-)

Stella said...

My favorite line is "She can hear you when you are thinking". I have often thought this with Stella because I think about going somewhere, and long before I began getting ready, she is sitting at the door waiting for me! She also plays rough and I hate it, and when I begin thinking how much, she will often flounce off and leave me! A long time ago I would have said "baloney" to this, but Otis, my late Scottie was read, and it was all right on, every word of it! I don't blame you for wanting to make this an annual event, it would be most interesting to see how they age, etc. Thanks for sharing this, and yeah, I miss you guys!

Cheers and Hugs,
Jo and Stella

Teddy Westlife said...

Very interesting. I am fascinated to know what Huffle is thinking sometimes.

Hufflemum Tracey

Jack & Moo said...

Moo: I can soooooo relate!

"M - What does Eva think of Brice?
C- He's silly! He's goofy! He's very brave but she doesn't think that he's very bright."

Jack: Brice seems like he would be furry fun to play with! I like to bounce too! Wooo!


So interesting that they can hear what we think!
~Pat

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We have a bouncer here too:)

Very interesting post.

We have missed you.

Marie Chalchot Tooth Disease

Lorenza said...

Sure it was an interesting session!
Glad you knew some things about the Eva and Brice.
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Khady Lynn said...

That is so cool! I would love to do this with Holly to find out more about her background since I know nothing about it! Can you shoot me an email so I can get more info from you?

Jan

the many Bs said...

this is very interesting to us. i, Bailey, just had a mini- session last weekend and the human is trying to decide what she thinks about it. after hearing your experience, it confirms our positive experience. now we may go for a group visit.

thanks and woofs from the 4Bs and our human

Donna said...

O hai! Woof woof. :)

Pippa said...

That was really interesting - I am sure Misery would like to know some answers about my cat fixation.

Pippa